Combining Practical Experience with Study
Through our student internship programme you gain valuable, practical and theoretical knowledge of horsemanship and a unique opportunity to work with the Andalusian horse.
Student internships are open to serious students with a sincere desire to come for a minimum period of three months upwards to study and assist in the stables in exchange for training and accommodation
Who Comes to Hacienda Dos Olivos
Equine students are international and from all walks of life, including those who come to:
- Improve riding skills, have a connection with the horse and achieve a clearer understanding of horsemanship as written by the classical dressage masters.
- Gain practical work experience, relevant knowledge and skills in a professional environment.
- Complement an equestrian profession or develop building blocks for a future career with horses.
- Do an internship abroad, have the opportunity to meet other people and develop language skills in Spanish.
- Not only will you profit from mounted lessons, every moment spent with the horses provide a unique vision and greater understanding of their personality. çNot only will you profit from mounted lessons, every moment spent with the horses provide a unique vision and greater understanding of their personality.
- Your training will cover the classical principles of equitation and all aspects of stable management. Other subjects include body awareness with Centered Riding techniques, the nature of horses, groundwork, lunging, biomechanics (for both horse and human) and the Spanish horse.
- You may have the opportunity to watch other lessons and training sessions during the week.
- To help with your learning there will be discussion sessions, dvds and written sources.
- You care for the horses, mainly stallions that are quiet and well mannered. Other activities include general stable duties and care of stable facilities. Students are in the stables six days a week, with sensible hours and one free day for leisure. You receive 5 lessons or activities per week tuition.You care for the horses, mainly stallions that are quiet and well mannered. Other activities include general stable duties and care of stable facilities. Students are in the stables six days a week, with sensible hours and one free day for leisure. You receive 5 lessons or activities per week tuition.
- Your shared accommodation is in a purpose built self-catering two bed-roomed cottage, lounge/dining room, kitchen and wifi connection, overlooking the olive grove and stables.
What are the Benefits for You?
- You will learn how to ride in a way that is quiet and efficient for the rider and comfortable for the horse.You will learn how to ride in a way that is quiet and efficient for the rider and comfortable for the horse.
- Communicate with the horse more clearly through near-invisible aids, and a greater awareness of mind and body on the ground and when riding.
- Lessons are adapted to your individual capabilities and goals.
- We are a small private yard with a maximum of 10-12 horses.
- Experience Andalusia, and gain an insight into the equestrian world from another cultural perspective.
- To improve your skills (know-how) as both a horseman and as a rider.
- In addition, there are opportunities to visit places of interest, competitions, shows and other interesting local events. We have visiting international specialists (master saddler, horse massage therapist, etc). Other equestrian activities such as Natural Horsemanship & Centered Riding Clinics, Leadership courses are also held.
Requirements for Student Internships
- 18 years and be a fit, healthy rider18 years and be a fit, healthy rider
- Possess basic riding and stable management ability
- Be responsible, trustworthy, flexible and to be a team member
- To be self-motivated with a real desire to learn
- It is a condition of booking that students have fully comprehensive travel/health/accident insurance.
Free time can be spent exploring the regional highlights. Although Dos Olivos is rural, the local buses stop within walking distance and you will have the option of visiting Seville, nearby villages, beaches and other local attractions. Trail riding can be taken from a nearby centre.
Interested? Contact us with your preferred dates, type of programme, C.V with photographs and a short video of you riding.
"My time as a working student at Dos Olivos was incredibly educational and enjoyable. Johanna and her horses are some of the best teachers of horsemanship I have ever experienced and I feel I have learned so much about myself as a rider and as a person…"
~ E. Cilliers, Canada"